Special Immigrant Juvenile Status with an immigration attorney in Maryland

At Jaskot Law, we help minor immigrants who have been abandoned, abused, or neglected by one or both of their parents and/or legal guardians to obtain their immigration status.

What is Special Immigrant Juvenile Status?

Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) is an immigration resource that can change a life. It is intended for young people who cannot be reunited with their parents and need to stay in the country legally for their own safety.

Jaskot Law is a specialist SIJS lawyer in Baltimore. We know how to handle this type of cases.

Who is eligible for SIJS?

In order to be eligible for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, you must meet the following requirements:

What are the benefits of this status?

This juvenile visa has multiple benefits for those who obtain it. First, it is a direct path to permanent residence. Once a young immigrant obtains SIJS classification, the path to obtaining a green card is direct.

On the other hand, it allows access to a work permit in the United States, thus offering young people economic independence so that they can get away from the context of abuse and mistreatment in which they found themselves. In addition, they will be able to acquire other public benefits, and discounts on their student fees, and thus guaranteeing them a better future.

If you want to get SIJS status, call Jaskot Law and make sure you have the best chance of success.

How does the SIJS process work?

First of all, to petition for an SIJS classification you must complete and deliver the following forms and documentation required:

What will happen in state court?

The minor has likely come to juvenile court following the advice of someone close to him/her or a neighbor who has seen the domestic situation up close. Once in court, this institution will be in charge of deciding if the minor has been abused, mistreated, or neglected by the older person in their care.

There, the SIJS lawyer will present the case in court and show the necessary evidence for the judge to decide that it is detrimental to send the minor back home with their abusive or abandoning parents. Evidence of abuse can be:

Hiring an expert SIJS lawyer in Baltimore can turn the tide of your case.

child juvenile immigration featured

Who is in charge of granting the status to the minor?

Contrary to popular belief, the state court is not in charge of granting SIJS status to migrant minors. Instead, it is the USCIS that will give that classification to the migrant juvenile. The state court’s role in the SIJS process is only geared toward making the necessary determinations for the eligibility of the migrant juvenile. determinations necessary for SIJS eligibility. Once that is done, the agency in charge of doing the immigration processing, using the information given by the court, is the USCIS.

There, the SIJS lawyer will present the case in court and show the necessary evidence for the judge to decide that it is detrimental to send the minor back home with their abusive or abandoning parents. Evidence of abuse can be:

Can SIJS become permanent residents?

Yes, indeed! Filling the Form I-485, Application for Permanent Residence or Adjustment of Status can be done at the same time that the applicant fills out the SIJS application. After that, its approval or disapproval only comes when the child has already been given the SIJS status. Then, once the child gains the status, he or she has to file Form I-912 to waive the fee for permanent residency and just wait for a USCIS notification.

SIJS lawyer in Baltimore, Maryland

The SIJS process is complex, and there is a wide margin of error that can cost you your case. For a successful outcome and a less stressful journey, it is highly recommended that you hire an immigration attorney who specializes in juvenile immigration.

At Jaskot Law, we are proud of our 100% SIJS win rate. Our firm has years of experience in these processes, and we treat each case in a unique and personalized way. The SIJS procedure is especially complicated, more than anything due to the difficult situation that minors must have gone through to reach this process. That’s why it’s important to make sure you go to someone trustworthy.

Jaskot Law is always available to you.


Immigration Appeals

If You Lost Your Immigration Trial And Are Ready To Appeal To The Board Of Immigration Appeals, We Will Help You Overturn Your Case.

Citizenship Request

For Green Card Holders Who Seek To Apply, We Will Walk With You Throughout The Entire Citizenship Request Process.

U-Visa and VAWA

Immigrants Can Be Victims Of Physical Or Mental Abuse. We Can Help You Apply For U-Visa And VAWA.

Frequently asked questions:

Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) is a type of immigration status that is available to certain children who have been abused, neglected, or abandoned by one or both parents, and who cannot be reunited with either parent due to abuse, neglect, abandonment, or a similar basis under state law. SIJS provides a pathway for these children to obtain lawful permanent residency in the United States.

To be eligible for SIJS, a child must be under the age of 21 and unmarried, and must have been declared dependent on a juvenile court or placed under the custody of a state agency or individual appointed by the state court. The court must also find that reunification with one or both parents is not viable due to abuse, neglect, abandonment, or a similar basis under state law, and that it is not in the child's best interest to be returned to their home country.

To apply for SIJS, a child must first obtain a state court order that makes certain findings related to their eligibility for the status. Once the court order is obtained, the child can file an application for SIJS with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The application will require documentation of the court order, as well as other forms and evidence of the child's eligibility for SIJS. If the application is approved, the child will be granted conditional permanent residency, which can be converted to full permanent residency after two years.